When preparing to sell your house, remember there is a reason why some houses sell immediately and others sit on the market for years. When people look at a house they trust their instinct before committing to the purchase, and the bulk of their instinct comes from their first impression. There are a few things you can do to sell your house quickly.
1. Make sure to clean the home thoroughly.
2. A fresh coat of paint typically removes all old smells like pet odors and creates a home worthy of being shown to prospective buyers.
3. Make sure the lawn is manicured and bushes are trimmed.
4. Flower beds are always a nice addition.
5. Increase the home’s exterior beauty by cleaning the gutters and pressure washing the outside of the house.
6. Make sure the home is fully functional mechanically by taking the time to make sure every single electrical outlet, switch and fixture works properly and smoothly as they are supposed to.
7. Plumbing repairs are often overlooked, but every faucet should have the proper water pressure.
8. Every drain should be able to accommodate the amount of water it receives without backing up in the slightest.
9. Complete any minor repairs such as a hole in the wall of the guest bedroom, or a closet door that doesn’t properly close.
10. Stage the home to show how the rooms and spaces can be used. Remove unnecessary furniture and personal items to showcase how spacious the rooms can look without clutter.
11. Remove most, if not all personal photographs and keepsakes. The best way to appeal to potential buyers is to help them envision themselves living there, not another family.
12. Realistically price the home based on what similar properties in the neighborhood sell for.
Remember that the people buying your house are likely making the biggest investment of their life. Preparing to sell your house is important to assure them of the wisdom of their purchase. Take the time to prepare your house according to potential buyers’ expectations in order to assure a quick sale as you move on to your own new home.
Taking these precautions shouldn’t only apply to when you are selling your home. Proper plumbing, electrical and other large scale projects should always be monitored to prevent damage to your home. Resale value is key!
Leave a comment in the box below or contact Waitte’s Insurance Agency once you have settled into your new home so that we can assist you in purchasing the best homeowners insurance policy for you!