Keeping Your Home Safe While on Vacation
Following months on lockdown that may have felt like years, many families are deciding it’s finally time to take a vacation. While there is plenty of focus on how to stay safe during the trip, it’s also a good idea to take steps before we depart to keep our homes safe.
According to the U.S. Department of Justice, on average, one home is burglarized every 18 seconds in the United States. Burglaries occur most often during the summer months, and any evidence that your home is unoccupied will make it a more likely target. Before you take off, consider taking the following steps to keep your home safe.
- Lock all windows and doors.
- Have mail or package delivery stopped. A stack of mail or a package on the doorstep is a clear giveaway that homeowners are absent.
- Hire someone to mow your lawn or shovel your driveway.
- Tell a trusted neighbor what your plans are. If possible, ask the neighbor to bring in your garbage cans if they will be outside and to keep an eye out for anything suspicious.
- Consider putting some indoor and outdoor lights on timer switches. This helps make your home look occupied.
- Wait until you return to post pictures and stories about your trip on social media. Posts often circulate more widely than you intend.
While these steps will take a bit of time, they will help ensure that your trip is worry-free and relaxing.
Enjoy the peace of mind that comes with planning ahead for your well-earned vacation. Learn about more ways you can plan to protect your home and family by calling Waitte’s Insurance Agency where our staff can assist you with your unique insurance needs. Share our vacation tips with your family and friends, and be sure you, your family, and your friends are covered so we can all keep our community safe.